Are you trying to conceive but facing challenges in getting pregnant? Do you have a low sperm count, poor sperm quality, or ovulation problems? Do you want to increase your chances of having a baby without undergoing complex or expensive procedures? If yes, then you may benefit from IUI.
IUI stands for intrauterine insemination, which is a simple and affordable fertility treatment that involves placing washed and concentrated sperm directly into the uterus around the time of ovulation. This increases the chances of fertilization and pregnancy.
Some of the reasons why you may choose IUI are:
- You have mild or moderate male factor infertility, such as low sperm count, poor sperm motility, or abnormal sperm shape.
- You have ovulation problems, such as irregular periods, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), or premature ovarian failure (POF), and need medication to stimulate ovulation.
- You have cervical mucus problems, such as hostile or insufficient mucus, that prevent the sperm from reaching the egg.
- You have unexplained infertility, which means that no clear cause of infertility can be found after testing.
- You want to use donor sperm to conceive a child without a male partner or with a male partner who has a genetic disorder.
What to expect from IUI?
IUI is a voluntary and confidential service that usually involves one or more cycles of treatment. A cycle consists of several steps:
- Ovulation induction and cycle monitoring: This involves stimulating the ovaries with medication to produce one or more eggs and tracking the ovulation process with ultrasound and blood tests. The medication may be oral (such as clomiphene citrate) or injectable (such as gonadotropins). The monitoring helps to determine the best time for insemination
- Sperm preparation: This involves collecting a semen sample from the male partner or the donor and processing it in a laboratory to separate the sperm from the other components. The sperm is then washed and concentrated in a special fluid that enhances its survival and motility.
- Insemination: This involves inserting a thin, flexible tube (called a catheter) through the cervix into the uterus and injecting the prepared sperm through the tube. The procedure is painless and takes only a few minutes. The woman may be advised to lie down for some time after the insemination to allow the sperm to travel to the fallopian tubes where fertilization may occur.
- Pregnancy test: This involves taking a blood test about two weeks after the insemination to check for the presence of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), which is a hormone produced by the placenta after implantation. A positive test indicates pregnancy.
Genetic counselling can help you gain valuable insights into your health and well-being. It can also help you prepare for the future and make choices that are best for you and your family.
At Acme Hospital and Wellness Center, we offer genetic counselling as one of our services to help you achieve your parenthood goals. We have a team of highly qualified and experienced genetic counsellors who will guide you through every step of your genetic journey. We have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment that ensure the highest standards of safety and quality. We have a patient-centric approach that respects your privacy, preferences, and values.
If you are interested in genetic counselling, please contact us today to book an appointment. We will conduct a thorough evaluation of your medical history,
IUI has many benefits over natural conception, such as:
- Increasing the number and quality of sperm that reach the egg
- Bypassing any obstacles in the cervix or vagina that may hinder sperm transport
- Timing the insemination with ovulation to maximize the chances of fertilization
- Reducing the risk of multiple pregnancies by controlling the number of eggs released
- Lowering the cost and complexity compared to other assisted reproductive technologies (ARTs), such as IVF
IUI also has some limitations and risks, such as:
- Not addressing any problems in the fallopian tubes or uterus that may prevent implantation or pregnancy
- Not guaranteeing pregnancy or live birth, as many factors may affect the outcome
- Having a slight chance of infection or bleeding due to the insertion of the catheter
- Having a possibility of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) due to the ovulation medication
- Having a potential for ethical, legal, or emotional issues related to donor sperm
Therefore, it is important to consult with your doctor before undergoing IUI and to follow their instructions and recommendations throughout the treatment.
At Acme Hospital, we offer IUI as one of our services to help you overcome your fertility issues and achieve your parenthood goals. We have a team of highly qualified and experienced doctors, embryologists, nurses, and counsellors who will guide you through every step of your IUI journey. We have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment that ensure the highest standards of safety and quality. We have a patient-centric approach that respects your privacy, preferences, and values.
If you are interested in IUI, please contact us today to book an appointment. We will conduct a thorough evaluation of your medical history,